RFE/RL: Russia plans missile-firing exercise off Norway amid NATO drills
RFE/RL: Russia plans missile-firing exercise off Norway amid NATO drillsThe tests are to take place from November 1 to November 3, west of the coastal cities of Kristiansund, Molde, and Alesund.Russia;s Navy / REUTERS
The Russian Navy plans to test missiles in international waters off Norway's coast this week, Norwegian and NATO officials say, as the Western military alliance conducts its largest military exercise since the end of the Cold War.
NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said on October 29 the alliance was informed last week about the planned tests, Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty reported.
"Russia has a sizable presence in the north, also off Norway," Stoltenberg told Norwegian news agency NTB.
"Large [Russian] forces take part in maneuvers and they practice regularly," he added.
Read alsoNATO launches biggest war games since end of Cold War â" media
The exercises come amid persistent tension between NATO and Russia, which seized Crimea from Ukraine in 2014 and backs separatists in an ongoing conflict in eastern Ukraine but accuses the alliance of provocative behavior near its borders.
A spokesman for Avinor, which operates Norwegian airports and air-navigation services, said Russia had informed them about the tests in a so-called NOTAM, a notice to pilots about potential hazards along a flight route.
The spokesman, Erik Lodding, told the dpa news agency that it was "a routine message."
The tests are to take place from November 1 to November 3, west of the coastal cities of Kristiansund, Molde, and Alesund.
"There is nothing dramatic about this. We have noted it and will follow the Russian maneuvers,& quot; Norwegian Defense Minister Frank Bakke-Jensen said.
On October 25, NATO launched its Trident Juncture exercise, which Stoltenberg has called a "strong display" of its capability, unity, and resolve at a time of growing danger in Europe.
The live-field exercise is set to run to November 7.
It involves around 50,000 soldiers, 10,000 vehicles, and more than 300 aircraft and ships from all 29 NATO allies, plus partners Finland and Sweden.
The aim of the drills stretching from the North Atlantic to the Baltic Sea is to practice the alliance's response to an attack on one of its members.
Russia held large military exercises called Zapad-2017 (West-2017) in September 2017 in its western regions jointly with Belarus, which also borders several NATO countries, and last month conducted massive drills across its central and eastern regions.If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter Latest news
- 04:05 Floating dock sinks after accident with Russia's only aircraft carrier, casualties reported
- 29 October, Monday
- 23:50 About 20 people detained in Bulgaria for sale of Bulgarian passports to Ukrainians, Moldovans
- 22:55 AP: Venice hit by high tide as Italy buffeted by winds; 6 killed (Photos)
- 21:55 RFE/RL: Russia plans missile-firing exercise off Norway amid NATO drills
- 20:58 PM Groysman: About 7 mln households in Ukraine entitled to utilities subsidies
- 19:59 Activist survives attack in Dnipropetrovsk region: Smashed in head with brass knuckles (Photo)
- 18:40 Reuters: Oil dips as Russia signals output will stay high
- 17:58 Merkel not to seek re-election as party chairwoman, plans to remain chancellor until 2021 â" media
- 16:40 Ex-NBU head Gontareva becomes fellow at Institute of Global Affairs
- 16:20 Kremlin calls upcoming Putin-Trump meeting "synchronization of positions"
- 16:00 Russian MFA: Ukraine's accession to NATO "possible"
- 15:40 First official U.S. trade mission arrives in Ukraine after 10-year pause
- 15:20 Ukraine, Kazakhstan sign treaties on extradition, legal assistance in criminal matters
- 15:00 Ukraine-U.S. trade sees 16% growth â" economy minister
- 14:40 No Ukrainians on board crashed Lion Air jet â" Ukraine MFA
- 14:20 Ukrenergo Supervisory Board members to get US$48,342 in remuneration annually
- 14:00 Yanukovych 's lawyer asks court to renew investigation, interrogate 13 witnesses
- 13:40 Fitch affirms Ukraine at "B-", outlook stable
- 13:20 Khashoggi murder: Britain "knew of kidnap plot and begged Saudi Arabia to abort plans" â" media
- 13:00 Ukraine, Moldova to integrate energy markets
- 12:40 National bank strengthens official forex rate to UAH 28.26 to dollar
- 12:20 Russian disinformation on Facebook targeted Ukraine well before 2016 U.S. election - WP
- 12:00 Gas reserves in Ukraine grow by over 9.6 bcm from April 9
- 11:40 Latvia's new law aims to preserve national language by limiting Russian in schools
- 11:20 Poroshenko to hold talks in Ankara â" media
- 11:00 Ukraine Army officer shows video of militants position being destroyed in Donbas
- 10:40 Ukraine MFA checking whether any Ukrainians were on board crashed Lion Air jet
- 10:20 CAR rebels demand Russian mercenaries be pulled out - media
- 10:00 Ukraine border guards detain Briton from Interpol wanted list
- 09:40 Georgia to hold second round of presidential elections
- 09:20 Donbas update: One Ukrainian soldier wounded in past 24 hours
- 09:00 Lion Air Boeing 737 crashes off Indonesia coast
- 28 October, Sunday
- 23:15 Exit polls contradictory in Georgia presidential vote â" media
- 21:40 Fugitive businessman: Spies masterminding pro-Russian bloodshed coup in Ukraine (Video)
- 20:30 RFE/RL: Lavrov says Moscow preparing answers to U.S. nuclear-treaty concerns
- 19:45 Ukraine's governm ent allocates US$1.95 bln in budget subsidies for households in 2019
- 18:25 Ryanair launches flights from Kyiv's Boryspil airport to another six cities in Europe
- 16:50 WTA: Superb Svitolina bests Stephens to win 2018 WTA Finals
- 15:59 Ukraine marks 74th anniversary of liberation from German Nazi troops
- 14:50 OSCE loses drone monitoring trucks in Russian-occupied east of Ukraine
- 11:25 BBC: Leicester City owner 'on board crashed helicopter'
- 10:40 Military expert lists four steps to prevent further Russian aggression in Azov
- 09:30 Russian-led forces use banned weapons in five out of fifteen attacks on Ukraine army in past day
- 27 October, Saturday
- 23:55 Central bank strengthens official forex rate to UAH 28.26 to dollar for Oct 29
- 23:15 Russian law enforcers in occupied Crimea hand over "notice" to Crimean Solidarity lawyers
- 21:25 Donbas update: Ukraine reports four enemy attacks on Oct 27
- 19:35 Ukraine's Cabinet publishes resolution to raise gas price for households by 23.5% from Nov 1
- 17:35 OSCE spots trucks with Russian license plates near Makiyivka in occupied Donbas
- 15:50 Analysis Week's balance: Heating season start, Putin's sanctions, and eurobonds worth $2 bln
- 14:50 Trump: Worst thing that ever happened to Russia is when I won election
- 12:55 Poroshenko appoints new SBU chief in Zakarpattia
- 11:40 Ukraine sees almost US$259 mln budget deficit in Jan-Sept
- 10:30 JFO: Ukraine reports two WIAs in Donbas in past 24 hours
- 26 Octobe r, Friday
- 23:40 Ukraine-Belarus trade turnover potential estimated at $10 bln â" Poroshenko
- 23:30 Package bomb suspect arrested in U.S., charged with 5 federal crimes
- 23:20 Ukraine's public debt down by $190 mln in September
- 22:40 Opinion EP Resolution of on Sea of Azov: Self-serving intentions or another "deep concern"
- 22:00 Trump adviser says Russia should "get out of" Crimea and eastern Ukraine
- 21:20 "Yanukovych Helipad" handed back to Kyiv municipal community
- 20:40 Lukashenko: Belarus ready to "engage" in Donbas conflict settlement
- 20:00 EU Delegation comments on Ukraine's public administration reform
- 19:20 Ukrainian prosecutors take note of new data on Kerch College shooting revealed by OSINT group
- 18:40 Donald Trump invites Vladimir Putin to Washington - media
- 18:00 OSCE's Hug on Russian involvement in Donbas war: "Facts speak for themselves"
- 16:53 Ukraine, France to boost cooperation in animal production
- 16:35 Merkel to visit Ukraine on Nov 1
- 16:17 New swine fever outbreaks recorded in two Ukraine's regions
- 15:54 Over half of Ukrainians say no to concessions to Putin in restoring peace in Donbas â" poll
- 15:32 Ukraine able to stop gas imports and switch to gas of own production â" expert
- 15:06 Patriarch Filaret says no misunderstanding between UOC-KP and UAOC
- 14:48 Ukrainians receive the most first residence permits in EU in 2017 â" Eurostat
- 14:21 Ukraine places two issues of eurobonds worth about US$2 bln
- 13:59 EBRD supports sustainable agribusiness in Ukraine
- 13:34 Patriarch Filaret: Process of granting autocephaly to UOC irreversible
- 13:05 Ukraine slides to 13rd place in WSA's rating in Sept
What do you think about our new website?
Share your opinion
Source: Google News Norway | Netizen 24 Norway